- Your house siding, windows and paint created enough solar energy to heat your entire home.
- You could surf the Internet, hands-free, by using your voice.
- You had a personal shopping assistant to bring clothes and accessories right to your dressing room.
- Your doctor gave you a personal health forecast based on your DNA.
- You could easily recall any conversation from wherever you are, whenever you need [IBM News].
What is next 5 in 5?
"IBM Next Five in Five" is a list of innovations that have the potential to change the way people work, live and play over the next five years. The Next Five in Five is based on market and societal trends expected to transform our lives, as well as emerging technologies from IBM’s Labs around the world that can make these innovations possible [IBM Press Kit]. IBM also says, "These five innovations will change how people around the world work, play and live over the next five years. But this is not just our thinking, we have included the input of some 150,000 people from 104 countries who took part in "InnovationJam", a recent online brainstorming session... along with insights from our Research labs and business consulting think tank"
1. Healthcare prognosis: more flexible, accessible, affordable: Genetic mapping will become your healthcare “crystal ball”
- Computational biology and supercomputing can help determine our expected longevity, the likelihood to develop certain diseases and the impact of daily routines on our health.
- We’ll use this information to decide which habits we can change to avoid diseases, choose the most effective medications given our genetic makeups, and take other preventative measures that could help us live longer, smarter lives.
- Advances in genetic mapping will help the pharmaceutical industry change the ways it develops new drugs, to produce medicines that are the most effective for treating your individual needs – rather than focus on the general population.
- Big savings in healthcare costs,
- Better health services and
- Increased chances for healthier, longer lives – all based on the information each of us carries in our genes.
- IBM is working on breakthroughs in “thin-film” solar cells, a new type of cost-efficient solar cell module which doesn’t use costly and limited silicon. Thin-film solar cells can be 100 times thinner than silicon-wafer cells and can be produced at a lower cost.
- IBM is working on projects that may help to create brand new thin-film solar cells that could be arranged on a flexible backing, suitable for the tops and sides of buildings, tinted windows, cell phones, notebook computers, cars, and even clothing.
Ever find yourself in a fitting room with all the wrong sizes and no salesperson in sight? IBM says, "In the next five years, shoppers will increasingly rely on themselves - and the opinions of each other - to make purchasing decisions rather than wait for help from in-store sales associates."
4.Real time speech translation will become the norm: You will talk to the Web...and the Web will talk back
- Feel connected at all times. No longer will you be tied to a keyboard and a computer.
- Enable the underprivileged to create, produce, host and share information and services with others.
- IBM MASTOR software was designed to improve communication between U.S. military personnel and Iraqi forces and citizens. It provides bi-directional English to Iraqi Arabic translation. MASTOR works just like a human translator -you talk, and your conversation is translated instantly. It can be used for exchanging simple courtesies to providing support for more sophisticated conversations. MASTOR is also available in two-way English to Modern Standard Arabic and Mandarin Chinese; additional languages are planned.
- IBM TALES (Translingual Automatic Language Exploitation System) software provides real-time monitoring and translation of Arabic broadcast media. TALES software allows users to search, and then view or listen to, news from foreign language broadcasts and Web sites.
Earlier, I worked on IBM's WebSphere Presence Server and Instant Messaging technology and I have no doubt that at least this will become a reality in the near future.
Even today, barely 17 percent of the world’s population has access to the Internet. Many factors serve as a hindrance for Internet to impact the remaining 83 percent of the human population: poverty, handicap, illiteracy, a lack of computer knowledge and irrelevance of available content. On the other hand, the cost of a phone is significantly lower than a computer, and the knowledge required to operate a phone is minimal as compared to a computer, especially when the phone is used as a device.
Thomas J Watson asked the world to "THINK". The very word is so powerful that today, it's changing the lives around.
References and further reading: